Monday 15 April 2013

COMMENTARY




Hi folks, so we meet; maybe for the final time. I hope you have enjoyed my blog and also hope that you were able to see the past quite clearer; a bit about your past urban area, its different forms and structures and why they are so. I must  say that I  also hope you  were able to  envision with me the improvements that  can be made in your urban  area and the different  challenges that will be faced.  The journey along this path of the Corridor has been a long one. The many ups and downs I faced with taking out meaningful photos, the research and the firsthand urban experience has taught me so much. The reason I chose to investigate this topic was because the population in Tunapuna is ever growing and it is a place that never sleeps. However, I never thought about it from a geographer’s perspective until I had too.

Now the blog is complete and I reflect on the hardship and laughter of the hot sunny days in Tunapuna. Where was I going to get 10 pictures?  That was my first worry. The most memorable experience was when taking pictures of the homeless. One shouted “You need our permission”. I stopped. It was already taken. One decided to pose for the camera as he did not mind; he said “I am beautiful”. I must agree he was; he was human. And he made me smile. I just wanted to reach out to his needs. Others I took while on the bus, while walking to the market or while jogging along the Bus Route. For me, it was a grand experience.

In this last post I will discuss the relationship of my  theme “URBAN TRANSFORMATION IN TUNAPUNA” Nicole Edgard, Francis Arzu, and Ryan Proverb’s blogs; three of my classmates. We were asked to conduct the same assignment on areas of our individual interest, and it was quite surprising to see what they came up with.

From scanning through Nicole Edgard’s blog, I realize that we had the same topic when it came to observing culture. What we had in common was that we both established that culture was a way of expressing self.  To a great extent, this was done through the use of the steel pan. It was interesting to see how we both talked about culture; the use of the steel pan being used to bridge generation gaps and to transcend history. What was quite different about mine though was the fact that I used the pan yard as a third place; somewhere that one in the urban area goes to free up self.  Nicole adds further light to this in that she said culture is used as a bridge.


Further, in Francis’blog he mentions pollution to be a major problem in Trinidad. My 9th blog entry also dealt with this urban issue.  Although we looked at two different urban areas, we were able to find common trends responsible for this problem. Rapid population growth was the leading cause; a demand and supply issue. His blog made me see evn further that  urban issues do not  result  from the same set of  circumstances everywhere. For example, in Tunapuna, the garbage was not picked up at times because it was found in areas of informal settlement. In my colleagues blog however, the area he refers to is along a main street in Port of Spain; no form of informal settlement. Could it then be that the pickup time was missed? If so I must say that policies should be put in place to curb such problems. Mere litter on the ground is an eyesore.


Ryan’s blog was very appealing. As an Environmentalist and upcoming Geographer, I concentrated on sustainability. With the talk of climate change in our faces each day, we cannot help but come to the table. His post on sustainability in the urban suggested that green spaces were of benefit to the urban.

The green spaces reduce the urban heat island effect where buildings, asphalt, and concrete absorb solar radiation and then remit it as heat. Reducing air temperature of the city could save the electricity bill use for air conditions.
Plants absorb carbon dioxide which is produced when humans breathe out and exhaust from vehicles, the more tress the more oxygen and clean air.
Green spaces and their inhabitants is a good indicator of overall ecological health of the ecosystem. This is an important measure in judging the ecological sustainability of the community. He claims that Port of Spain is an area with many green spaces and I must agree. For, I honestly believe that suburban dwellings or non-main –city but urban  areas such as Tunapuna have so much room for improvement. I say this because many spaces for greening within suburbia are simply being leap frogged for example parking lots. They are not used to their maximum capacity.
I think my  blog  could have been  improved if a more lenthy  study was done; more information would have been gained. To add, the area of Tunapuna has no  ilk of historical information online,. This limite the extent to which I  was able to  do in-house comparisons of the area’s past,  present and possibly an insight into the future..
Thanks to my colleagues and International viewers, all is appreciated. You may  also check my  colleagues entries using the links below.
Until then,

Jahnell Ryan

Colleagues’ blog links




1 comment: